“What the hell are we doin’ here?” Paul asks as he and the band launch into Talent Show at the 1989 International Rock Awards.
That’s a good question, Paul. Here’s another Q: what the hell are the International Rock Awards? The name reminds me of the Simpsons episode, “Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?” You know, the one in which Homer wins the “First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.”
This performance is pure ’Mats for many other reasons:
- They’re playing Talent Show at an awards show.
- Tommy is cracking up at 0:39.
- Paul sticks his tongue out during the camera close-up.
- At 0:56 they just fucking take off (we’ll show YOU!).
- The lyric “we’re feelin’ good from the pills we took” is censored.
- Paul changes the lyric, “it’s too late to turn back, here we go!” to “it’s too late to take pills, here we go!”
- Check out the actor Matt Dillon at 3:22 whistling.